A Spaniard who took the helm at Louis Vuitton – one of France’s premier fashion brands – announced Tuesday he was stepping down because of health reasons.
Jordi Contsans, 48, a Spanish businessman, was tapped as head of the company a year ago – though he officially became CEO only a month ago. Vuitton’s parent company, LVMH, said his unexpected departure was because of a “significant health issue.”
The little-known executive, who replaced longtime Louis Vuitton CEO Yves Carcelle last year, came to the luxury and handbag maker from the yogurt company Danone.
“His condition does not allow him to fulfill his duties as CEO,” said Antoine Arnault, a member of the board of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton and son of the luxury giant’s chairman and CEO Bernard Arnault. “We wish Jordi all the best.”
Women’s Wear Daily said Constans’ condition was not life-threatening but prevented him from performing the physical demands of the job.
Franco-American Michael Burke, who had been running LVMH’s jewelry house Bulgari, will take over at Louis Vuitton. While with LVMH, Burke has worked at the Christian Dior fashion house and for Louis Vuitton in North America.
LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault said Constans had shown “remarkable leadership” in his short time at the company.
Based on reporting by The Associated Press.